Saturday 1 September 2012

Injury Abroad! (how dramatic!)

Well well well....how things can change in an instant.

The Gleneagles Hospital
Strappy pair of 5" wedge sandals + history of klutziness +  8" curb = ?

Answer:  A broken (clean in half) tibia bone and fracture of the fibula in my left leg. So off we went by taxi to the Gleneagles Hospital emergency room just down the road. After being triaged and x-rayed quickly (the x-ray tech couldn't even hide her dismay at the scan), I was admitted and awaiting the verdict from the orthopedic surgeon. I was totally taken aback and thought it completely refreshing that all of the doctors introduced themselves by their first name. My surgeon, "KC", was wearing khaki shorts, a short-sleeved buttoned-down shirt and flip flops. I don't know, maybe some people would be nervous at the laid back feeling, but honestly it made me more at ease. He was very friendly and explained what I had done (um, been an idiot?) and gave me two clear options for putting me back together.

Here are the x-rays that prove how inept I am in heels:



Option #1:  Hard cast from my toes to above my knee for at least 12 weeks.  (Keep in mind the weather here!)

Option #2:  Metal plate and screws surgically inserted to mend the broken bone.

He recommended the surgery and I was in agreement.    Keep in mind that this is the leg with the dreadful knee that has gone through six surgeries, including three ACL reconstructions, and is already arthritic. Chop it off and be done with it....I was sure that would be option #3. Alas, it was not. 

So just three hours later, I was ready to get the party started.  I was wheeled into the operating room and the 2.5 hour surgery took place (KC had changed into scrubs in case you were wondering :-). During my sleepover at the hospital that night, all of the nurses were great (can't say the same about the food) and I guess I was as comfortable as I could be under the circumstances. That may have had something to do with the steady stream of painkillers and an Ambien.

Here are the post-surgery x-rays.  Airport security - now even more fun!!



I was shocked to find out the next day that I would have nothing but a few bandages covering the stitch sites (4) and some plastic wrap on top. I had a compression sock over the top, but was allowed to remove that as it was actually causing additional swelling instead of preventing it.  The downside of the surgery is what I'm currently dealing with - I'm on crutches and cannot bear weight on my left leg for about 8 weeks. The second half of the recovery time I will be putting 10-20% of my weight on the leg, but I can't really figure out how that is going to make a difference!

My buddy!
So here I am, almost done with week two and I'm going nuts. There are about 40 steps up to my apartment so I really just don't get out much. Jason brought the guest daybed downstairs (It is literally under the stairs - I'm like a disabled Harry Potter with no magical powers, which would really come in handy at lunchtime.). I have wonderful neighbor friends who have taken me to the doctor, offered to do grocery shopping, helped me down to the pool to get some fresh air, lent me a chair with wheels and overall just given me emotional support. Thank you Jody, Wes, Patty, Ann Christine, Charles and anyone else I've missed.  The kids have been amazing and just super helpful with anything I need.  Sophia is chief dog walker and Cooper is chief worrier.  Of course, I have to give a shout out to Jason, who is now Mr. Mom - making all meals, taking care of the housekeeping and getting the kids off to school every morning. I am grateful.

I'm not going to lie. I'm a bit of an emotional wreck. I have never liked relying on people to do things for me, and it's killing me to ask for help. But then I remember, if this is the worst problem I have, I'm doing better than okay. In fact, after watching a marathon of "Toddlers & Tiaras" I am fully aware that my life is GREAT. Wow, people. That show is troubling. In better news, the show "White Collar" is pretty good. And if you're looking for a new book, let me know. I have several suggestions.

Well I better go. Not because I have anything to do, but because I'm already starting to ramble.

I can't wait until I am more mobile, so I can dig through my closet and resurrect every pair of flats I brought to this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.